Share this article:
1. Mix the flour, salt, butter cut into cubes, milk and Saf-instant® yeast together in a mixing bowl. Knead until the dough forms a ball of even consistency and doesn’t stick to your fingers.
2. Cover the mixing bowl with a tea towel and leave to rise for 2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
3. Divide the dough into ten equal pieces, each approximately the size of a small egg. Roll each piece of dough into a long rope as thick as your finger. Shape the rope into a U shape, twist it and then fold in 2 by bringing the ends towards the base of the U. Pinch the two ends of the dough firmly onto the U so that the pretzel keeps its shape during cooking. Leave to rest for 20 minutes in the fridge.
4. In a large saucepan, bring the water and bicarbonate of soda to the boil. Remove from the heat as soon as the water begins to boil.
5. Lower the pretzels into the hot water, remove and drain using the skimmer as soon as they float to the surface. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 200°C (thermostat 8).
This is the basic pretzel recipe; you can also flavour them with your choice of additional ingredients, sultanas, olives, chorizo sausage, etc, adding them to the dough before leaving it to rise. The quantity you add depends on your taste and the end result desired, but you should allow for between 50 and 100g.